<< Back To All Blogs
Fixing SharePoint error Log with "Preserving template record"
Tuesday, June 2nd, 2009
As I was doing debugging on a workflow this morning I was using the log files from web server extensions/12/Logs to do some analysis of an issue, and realized that my log files were growing astronomically in size, incredibly fast, and that this had not been an issue in the past.
I could not determine the actual cause of this issue, but after some digging came across this blog from the Microsoft SharePoint team and apparently I am not the only one with this issue.
They have released a hotfix which will fix the apparently random messages of the following 2 types:
Preserving template record with size…
Deleting template record with size…
In the example of my dev machine, a full message appeared as follows:
"Preserving template record with size 3304, use count 3, key ct-0-0x00a7470eadf4194e2e9ed1031b61da088402".
There were thousands of these in each log file, with different counts, record sizes, and keys, and none of which I
successfully tracked down.
Hopefully this will save some of you a headache in the future, as I spent 2 hours trying to track down the cause, and it was happening so often that I couldn't see the real errors that I was looking for.
After installing this hotfix I was no long receiving the previous error messages, but it did start giving me SSO (Single Sign On) service errors. I did not previously have SSO running, but this hotfix apparently enabled it (or attempted to).
The errors were similar to the following:
Error code is: -2140993974
Immediately followed by:
CSSOService::RefreshSSOConfigIfStale setting SSO as Not Configured, returning SSO_E_SSO_NOT_CONFIGURED
To disable SSO, go to Start -> Control Panel -> Administrative Tools -> Services
Find Microsoft Single Sign On in the running services, right click and select Stop. Then in the configuration section change startup type to disabled.
Hotfixin' Tom Out.
Configuring Nintex Request Approval Action Permissions in SharePoint
SharePoint Web Services, .NET 3.5, and Authentication Issues
Fixing "The given key was not present in the dictionary" error in SharePoint 2010 Installation
Fixing "Error in loading DLL" in SharePoint
Resolving "Tracing Service lost trace events" in MOSS 2007
Currently no comments.
Add A Comment
Email Address: (not public, used to send notifications on further comments)
Enter the text above, except for the 1st and last character: