NerdyHearn
Home
Blog

Contact
Mailing List

Software

Active Directory Products
Object Compare
Permission Compare

IPhone Products
Calls To Calendar
SMS To CSV
SMS To Gmail
Voicemail To Gmail

Sites
How Long For Me
SaveMySerials

Blog
Twitter

NerdyHearn - Blog


<< Back To All Blogs

Fixing MOSS Search Crawler issue for "The specified address was excluded..."

Thursday, July 2nd, 2009

We recently came across an issue in which some of our SharePoint MOSS documents were not available (could not be found) using MOSS Search. Upon further investigation, the issue was coming from the actual Crawler. We were receiving the following error in our Crawl Log (under Central Admin -> SSP -> Search Settings -> Crawl Logs):

"The specified address was excluded from the index. The crawl rules may have to be modified to include this address. (The item was deleted because it was either not found or the crawler was denied access to it.)"

Upon further digging, there were a number of resolutions that could be applied to fix this issue, but oddly enough, our resolution came from this Microsoft KB article.

As of Windows Server 2003 SP1 and beyond, including Windows Server 2008, Microsoft added a loopback security check to prevent reflection attacks on applicable machines. As a result, indexing alternate mappings (or sometimes default mappings) in SharePoint can often lead to this error, which means your documents are not indexed and therefore not searchable.

There are 2 resolutions offered on this KB, but the first (and Microsoft recommended) fix resolved our issue.

Go to Start -> run -> regedit

Backup your registry before beginning.

Navigate to HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SYSTEM\CurrentControlSet\Control\Lsa\MSV1_0

Right-click on MSV1_0, select new, and then Multi-string value

Enter the name BackConnectionHostNames and press enter

Right-click on BackConnectionHostNames, and select Modify

In the text box, enter a separate hostname on each line. We added a number of them as we have multiple SharePoint sites with
individual domains. Some examples may be sharepoint.mydomain.com, mysites.sharepoint.com, machine-name.sharepoint.com.

Quit the registry editor, and restart the IISAdmin service.

After running a new Full crawl, our issue was resolved.

Just as a point of reference, a few other recommendations that I found while searching:

1. Ensure that the account running your Search indexer is under the group IIS_WPG, WSS_ADMIN_WPG, and WSS_WPG.

2. Ensure that the indexer is running under your Search user in your SharePoint settings. To check this account, go to Central Admin -> SSP -> Search Settings, and select Default Content Access Account. This should be the same user as you added to the groups in 1.

Hopefully that will help some of you out, this was definitely an interesting one.

Indexin' Tom Out.

Tags

SharePoint Howto

Related Blogs

SharePoint STSADM AddSolution Object Reference not set to an Instance of the Object error
What causes "Please wait while scripts are loaded..." in SharePoint
Configuring ASP.NET (And SharePoint) to use SQL-based Sessions
SharePoint RPC: Corrupted Binary Files
Configuring Nintex Request Approval Action Permissions in SharePoint

Comments

Currently no comments.

Add A Comment

Name:


URL:


Email Address: (not public, used to send notifications on further comments)


Comments:



Enter the text above, except for the 1st and last character:


NerdyHearn - Latest tech news relating to C#, ASP.NET, SharePoint, PHP, general development, and more. SaveMySerials - Protect yourself from theft, fire, natural disasters and more by recording your serial numbers